Saturday, March 5, 2016

A Piece of My Mind on Peace of Mind

A couple of years ago, I found that I was becoming anxious and overwhelmed with work and the stress in my day.  I couldn’t sleep. My mind was a jumble of thoughts, what ifs, and to-dos.  And when I could get to sleep my mind would spin out the most anxiety riddled worst case scenarios possible. 

Faced with the possibility of a lifetime of dark circles under my eyes and the jitters...oh and did I also mention I became mean as a wet cat from being sleep deprived? No, well trust me when I say it wasn't pretty? But I digress...
I knew I had to find something to help. 

There were a million and one options that came up in my google search for peace of mind but the one that I kept coming back to was meditation.  So, I decide to give it a try. 

I started with the Deepak Chopra and Oprah guided 21 day challenge becuse it seemed easy enough...and it was free.  I loved it.  I have been a firm believer in the power of mediation ever since.  Medition has become my go to whenever I need to relax and find clarity.

More importantly for me, it also worked to help easy the restless nature of my thoughts.  I could now look at situations as they arised with more consideration and focus.

But that is what worked for me.  Everyone is different.  Some will find the same solace through prayer.   Others are able to find it in some form of art or other creative medium using their hands.  And others still in dance or excercise. 

Life is chaotic.  Everyday we bombarded by images and sound.  It overwhelms the senses and can make us anxious and sometimes aggressive.  So whatever your prefered outlet, take the time to quiet your mind.

That is just a piece of my mind on finding peace of mind.  Call it my own public service announcement on the benefits of mediation or on finding any other practice that will help you get a moment of stillness and quiet.

Besos y abrazos

Vita

No comments:

Post a Comment