Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Finding My Way...

My journey, like countless others, of becoming a writer has not been easy.  It began when I finally overcame my own trepidation and started writing romance and erotica.  Once I did, it was as though a light had turned on.

It felt so natural.  I'd read what felt like a thousand novels in these genres as a fan before I attempted to write them.  After finishing each one I would imagine alternate endings, or continued the stories in my head.  The stories flowed and I didn't look back.

But my fear of what family and friends would think still held me back.  I was afraid of what their perceptions would be about not just erotica, but romance as a whole.  There are so many people that look down on romance as the black sheep of the literary world.  It's either viewed as the naughty little cousin to serious writing or all fluff and no substance. 

It pains me to say it but, once I did start writing, I hid it from some that are close to me.  And truth be told, of the few people I did work up the courage to share my journey with there were a couple who's reactions were less than enthusiastic.  But growth begets confidence.  As I continue to evolve as a writer, so does my understanding that not everyone will understand or love what I do, and nor should they.

 
I did not start writing to please anyone else but myself.  I started writing because I dream whole stories at night.  During the day the stories whisper in my ear as I ride the train, or while I am standing in line at Starbucks.  The characters are there bumping around in my mind in every quiet moment and even in some not so quiet moments.

People will either love what I write or they will hate it.  But regardless of either opinion, they can not change what I have to say.  Its my path, my story, come what may.




No comments:

Post a Comment